This guide is now outdated, please find my new guide here:
Firstly I’ll say that this is the worst TH to stay at. Loot is reasonable, barch upgrading is good, but nothing else is good here. Perpetual waste of elixir means that you self-inflict 50% loot penalty after 3-4 weeks in TH8; no chance at defending against TH9 attacks; no new hero, no camp upgrade. As a farmer and even a war player, this TH is the one you definitely want to stay a short time at. Despite that, I spent a total of 32 days here, almost as long as my entire journey before this.
I’ll assume you have your 4th builder already. If you do not, just readjust accordingly. This TH guide will go over the steps into how to rush to TH9 efficiently and not waste time.
First priority upgrades:
- Lab. You’ll want to unlock lvl5 barch immediately. It takes 4 days for the building and 5 days per troop, so 14 days total.
- Clan castle. 5 additional troops on offense and defense is always good.
- Dark spell factory. The only offensive upgrade TH8 gets, better unlock it soon, upgrade it after unlocking it.
- New walls and structures taking less than 5min. Then upgrade your dark elixir storage using this builder. You want to have 40k capacity immediately so that you can upgrade your BK.
- Once clan castle is done, build all new structures so that you can build your TH8 base.
Second priority upgrades:
- Barbarian King. Whenever you have enough DE, upgrade him. I got mine maxed into TH9, but his level doesn’t really matter much in the end.
- Upgrade the new storages, these act as better defense.
- Max DE drill then DE storage
- Dark barracks. You’ll want to unlock and upgrade it using one of your builders until hopefully both are maxed. (mine were 4/2 when I reached TH9)
- Barracks. Use another builder to upgrade your barracks until all are maxed. (mine were 10/10/9/9 when I reached TH9)
Third priority upgrades:
- All other defenses
Honestly, nothing will stop TH9s from stealing your loot. Better to join them and farm for your own AQ, rather than waste time letting others upgrade their AQ.
This should be routine by now. Upgrade walls as you farm for other upgrades, never leave them last. You’re targeting full purple (lvl7) to half skulls (lvl8)
Arch 5 > Barb 5 > giant/loons to 5 > goblins/wb to lvl5 > healers to 3 > wiz to 5
If you’re following my timeframe, you’ll upgrade earlier than you’re able to complete these upgrades, so don’t worry about it. As long as giants and loons are done, you’re all set to go to TH9.
Still, barch is all you need. The secret here is, barch is all you ever need. Just find those collector bases >250k and hit them dry, hit drills as well. DE might be harder to come by as your needs increase, just pack cc giants/hogs/valk/bowlers/miners and bring a few of your own wallbreakers to raid other poor souls. You’re aiming 1k from a TH7 or an easy 1.2-1.6k from a fellow TH8.
Look at my journal series for more ideas on what I use to farm DE.
Recommended stay time: 14 days to 1.5 months, any more and you’re wasting time. I spent 32 days in TH8.
Minimum upgrades: all first priority upgrades, barch lvl5, BK any level.
Read my journey here:
This was my base as I reached TH9. Defenses still looked horrendous, but I’m apathetic to loot losses. Many people personally don’t rush because of loss aversion. Loss aversion is when each loss is taken more personally and comparatively more devastating than an equivalent gain, like losing 300k each is equal to gaining 600k each. When you think about it, its stupid, because defenses are now useless. Without sniping, maxed or rushed bases are getting smashed, just by different attackers. That’s why rushing is always a good idea especially if you can raid much more than you lose.