Ideally, you’ll want to be here without maxing neither TH7 nor TH8. The earlier you come into TH9, the better. The hero grind takes so long that almost any maxer will inevitably have maxed defenses, idle builders before even halfway into heroes. Look into global and see most TH9s, you’ll find that they have maxed TH9 defenses yet not even lvl15 heroes. That is an example of a bad player and a liability in war, despite their maxed defenses they’re weak and bad examples. These are the players you want to laugh at, not the player with 15/15 royals at TH5 defenses.
This TH marks the start of heavy DE grinding. The problem here is your income isn’t too much and it easily doubles at TH10. Here is a good place to start grinding DE and have a solid start in TH10. No point maxing TH9 either because TH10 loot is far better.
It took me 30 days to reach TH9 and another 30 days to
end this part of the journey reach TH10. While your TH8 is upgrading, save up at least 62.5k DE, 6mil elixir and 5mil gold. I’ll assume you have 4 builders in this stage, try to get the 5th before this stage ends.
First priority upgrades:
- AQ, AQ, AQ. Its so important that I need to repeat myself thrice. Unlock her and keep her upgrading. If you follow my TH9 journals, you know that
the first few levels of AQ are the hardest, while lvl8-15 are the easiestAQ now requires 25k DE/day regardless of level until lvl40. So grind hard for her in the beginning, or just use her to farm for herself initially. 40k is just to buy half of your AQ, you need lvl5 before you get the full deal, so get her up asap. Check out my TH9 farming guide if you’re having difficulties. NEVER STOP UPGRADING AQ, SHE SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST AND ULTIMATE PRIORITY FOR TH9.
- Lab. You’ll want lvl6
giantsbarch upgraded immediately, they’re the only thing you need to crush any TH8 foolish enough to maxthe only thing you need to farm with. Barch now only takes 7 days to max, after 3.5 days of lab upgrade
- Spell factory. Get it up and out of the way, its tough but you’ll need to endure. You shouldn’t need to use spells for farming anyway
- Build all new walls, new lvl1 defenses, new traps and new storage buildings. Dump excess gold into walls until you have 5mil gold left, then use the 5mil to upgrade CC.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page, there is a base design there, copy that. Its called “the crows TH8.5 version”
- Once you have xbows, find “The crows TH9 version” and copy that
- CC. Having 5 additional troops for offense and defense always help. The extra 5 spaces will allow you to have 1 baby drag and 2 valks in your defensive cc provided that you have a cooperative clan. Besides that, 1 extra giant/hog/miner/bowler in your raids can be very helpful.
- If you have an extra builder, start one of the second priority upgrades.
Second priority upgrades: (start these after lab and sf are done)
giants/goblinsbarbs/archer in lab. I prefer barbs first because their hp increase is more significant. Tried archers first for once and regretted it
- Since you used all your elixir into lab, you’ll need to farm more elixir but have 2 free builders. Upgrade your storages to spread your loot around more.
- While upgrading storages, once you attain 2.25mil, start upgrading your army camps regardless of storage levels.
- This will be your CC builder coming free after doing both army camps. Upgrade your DE storage because 80k really isn’t enough for decent AQ levels.
- After your army camps are done, upgrade army camps again because 220 space is a big improvement from 200.
- If your AQ isn’t upgrading, better keep her going. To graduate this section of the guide, you’ll want a lvl15 AQ. So before you complete everything in the list, better get her to lvl15 and above.
- Builder 1: AQ1 > AQ2 > AQ3 > …
- Builder 2: lab > storages > army camp > army camp
- Builder 3: SF > storages > army camp > army camp
- Builder 4: New buildings/walls/storage/traps > CC > DE storage > DE drill/storage
- If available, builder 5: Army camp > army camp > army camp > army camp (then builder 2 and 3 would be working on DE drills instead)
- Lab: barb > arch > loons/wb if not lvl5
Third priority upgrades: (these will be after army camps have started, your first builder into this range will be the one working on your DE storage)
- DE drill. Start one builder on the drill and let him upgrade until all drills are maxed. Drills have better bang for buck at lower levels, so upgrade them evenly. They should be at lvl3 right now, so upgrade them one by one to lvl4 then lvl5 then lvl6. This should take 24 days in total if you only use 1 builder.
- Dark barracks. Likewise, after army camps are done do dark barracks. If you want to unlock troops, get 1 to lvl6 first; if not just upgrade them evenly.
- Gold and elixir storage. Max it out, storing 8mil is a good thing
- Dark spell factory. Just stick one builder here and upgrade both levels.
- DE storage. Max it out to store 190k DE when you have time to farm excess
4th priority upgrades: (do these as fillers and if you cannot to afford necessary higher priority upgrades)
- Traps. Skeleton traps and giant bombs give good value and they’re probably low leveled if you rushed previously.
- Collectors. Stick some builders into your rushed collectors as you farm enough for more upgrades. Once all first to third priority upgrades are done but AQ still isn’t lvl15 yet, upgrade collectors with 2-4 builders.
- Teslas/AT/WT. Good cheap upgrades particularly if you’re rushed.
- Xbows. Good to build as they are the cornerstone of your crows base, but certainly much less important than at least #3 (storages) of the 3rd priority upgrades. If you have 5 builders and don’t like war, this can be done early on during your second priority upgrades.
Notice how almost every upgrade costs elixir. While farming, dump all excess gold into walls and make them nearly full skulls. The above parts combined are around 70-90mil elixir, so you can easily do 140-200 skulls with that price range. This is why I say its dumb to stay in TH8 working on walls while you’re supposed to be in TH9 working on offenses. End result of TH8 grinding skulls? Maxed skulls, 200 army space, 10/0 heroes. End result of rushed TH9? Maxed skulls, 220 army space, 15/15 heroes.
There are 2 good paths here, so I’ll outline them Goblins to lvl6 > giants > jump > arch Giants > barb > arch > goblin/heal
For lab, it should be: barb > arch. If wb if below lvl5, do them next, otherwise do loons till lvl6. You can upgrade giants/goblins after that but not necessary really. Barch lvl7 trumps both of them
After the first 4-5, whatever comes next doesn’t matter for a farmer anymore because you’ve maxed all farming troops
Recommended stay time: 30 days ideally. This is the time it takes to get your AQ to lvl15 while finishing all first to third priority upgrades, but 30-60 days are all good. If your builders have completed all first to third priority upgrades but AQ isn’t lvl15 yet, start working and maxing out all collectors. Put at least 2 builders into collectors, 1 builder into AQ and the rest can catch up defenses.
I strongly recommend you to jump to TH10 as soon as you reach here, there is no point in staying in TH9 anymore, jump skip the mid and late TH9 parts, go straight to TH10. Lvl10 AQ is fine enough, she will be upgrading 24/7 anyways so having lvl30 or lvl1 doesn’t matter because upgrading AQ = lvl0 AQ
Pre-requisites for TH10:
- Maxed barch
- Maxed storages (can store 8mil/8mil/190k)
- Maxed dark drills
- Maxed offenses (lab, sf, cc, army camps)
- Built all defenses