Since TH12 has been introduced more than a year ago, it has evolved greatly and it has never been easier to be a TH12 now. This guide will try to include everyone because people come into TH12 in varying states; from people like me who spent a year as a maxed TH11 to people who rush to TH12 with TH6-8 defenses. I rather much be the latter because it makes the game easier and more fun overall with little to no drawbacks.
Before coming to TH12, you will want to read my pre-TH12 checklist
What caught me off-guard when I moved to TH12 on TinySin, was the large abundance of dead bases I found. I remembered how bad loot was on my main account when I upgraded more than a year ago, only having dead TH11 which were uncommon. Now, you can easily find a lot of dead bases without pressing next too many times. Loot is still slightly slower in TH12 than TH11, but you shouldn’t be too afraid because it was quite easy for me to keep all 3 heroes upgrading till they were maxed. I personally did not follow the guide below because I spent a lot of time working on all 3 heroes. Everything was so slow because I only had 2 builders working on non-hero upgrades. For good farmers, this is worth it because heroes are the only things that grow well at TH12.
The gold pass is a really important asset to have when transitioning to TH12 as it cuts down a lot of the requirements. I highly recommend you to go to TH12 with full season bank loot, this means starting the town hall upgrade 11.2 days before the season ends so that you can have 37/37mil in day 1 of TH12; alternatively just go to TH12 with your 20% discount active so that you don’t need to upgrade storages. Either way is fine, but I feel the 25mil extra loot seems more impactful initially. Whether or not you can get the season pass, try to get a rune of elixir to help out.
Also, if you have the season bank loot or the 20% discount, you can start the clan castle upgrade immediately. Otherwise you will need to delay the clan castle upgrade until you max all 4 storages.
The TH12 pack isn’t very worth it because it just gives resources and does not save much time at all, I’d say skip.
Try to arrive TH12 with all 5 builders available, and preferably lab with something >8 days (to overlap troop and lab upgrade)
First priority upgrades: (1a – first 2 days)
- AQ all the way to 65. She is the number one thing you should focus on and she is one of the few upgrades that will speed up your farming.
- Lab (8mil elixir). This is one upgrade I recommend early on despite the fact that no new lab troop actually boosts your farming, but if you want to do anything after maxing heroes, lab troops actually help a little bit.
- Alternatively, if this account is the only TH12 in your clan and/or you are making a donation account, build your siege workshop instead.
- DE storage (6mil elixir), because you cannot upgrade any hero above lvl51 unless you have upgraded this. If your heroes are below lvl50, ignore this for now. Even with the season pass, I think this upgrade is very well worth it so that you can store more DE between upgrades.
- It used to cost only 4.2mil elixir but it was nerfed to 6mil in the update which discounted everything else.
- This is where you’ll need the extra loot from the season bank. If you have the 20% discount, you can afford both upgrades (6.4+3.6mil). If you have a rune of elixir, I don’t recommend you to use it here yet.
- If you have the season bank loot or the 20% discount, max out your Clan Castle. If not, upgrade some walls and use 4mil gold to upgrade giga tesla lvl2. Clan castle is a good upgrade to use a book of buildings because it costs 14 days, a worthwhile time skip.
- Place all the new traps first, then see if you have a rune of elixir. If so, use it and either build the new siege workshop or start your warden upgrade to lvl21. I personally went with the latter because my clan has enough TH12s to donate siege machines.
- If not, build your new hidden tesla then farm for 3 hours and upgrade your giga tesla to level 2 (alternatively upgrade hidden tesla to lvl2 if giga was done in #4)
- The following upgrades are some choices to pursue if you do not have the season bank/discount:
- Upgrade some short and cheap upgrades while farming the necessary elixir for further upgrades. This is when being rushed really helps because you will have a lot of cheap upgrades to work on
- Once you have enough elixir, start your siege workshop or warden
- Elixir storage. You will need to upgrade this if you want to upgrade warden beyond level21.
- Giga tesla completes in 2 days so it will be done next, you have three choices here.
- First is upgrade BK which means you must have farmed enough to start him
- Second is army camp or any elixir upgrade above which was not done yet
- Third is that you have not farmed enough elixir/DE, start giga tesla lvl3.
That’s it for your first 1-2 days, it is some intense farming initially and even more if you plan to upgrade more heroes. It gets easier a little afterwards.
Since there are so many branching paths, the upgrades below don’t need to be in any specific order. The upgrades are listed in importance, but you can deviate depending on what you need/want. Just make sure these are complete or mostly done before going to second priority.
First priority upgrades: (1b – 4 to 10 weeks)
- Elixir storage. This is really essential because you will need it for warden lvl22 and above, plus most TH12 lab troops cost more than 10mil.
- Some time around here your lab will complete. Unfortunately there are no farming troops to upgrade this time. Unless you have the 20% discount, you can’t really afford any new TH12 upgrade. I recommend just doing a few short and quick giants/goblin upgrades while waiting for the 20% discount.
- If you’re a good farmer, you can do some DE upgrades here like hog rider/bowlers/witches/ice golem/bat spells. Just choose whichever one you like. Try not to sacrifice AQ progress for this lab upgrade.
- For monster farmers like me, you can do DE lab + AQ + BK at the same time
- Army camps. Try to get these done, they help with farming especially since you have 560 troops to work with and can possibly stack 3-4 collector raids with two full armies.
- AQ! Don’t forget to keep her upgrading whenever possible.
- Grand Warden to lvl40. He is the hero that makes barch OP, crazy 90% increase in barbarians give them almost 400 health each!
- Siege workshop lvl2 and lvl3. The battle blimp isn’t as good, but you probably could build more machines to donate to your clan mates since you are overflowing gold anyway.
- Giga tesla to level 5. Whenever you can, try to get this upgraded to lvl5 so that you can stop many armies trying to attack you. This is a really potent defense in CWL and usually can stop many farmers who think that they can deal with you.
- New 3rd inferno. The 3rd single mode inferno will put pain on enemy heroes. You can easily burn down even maxed AQ/BK with ease just using a lvl1 inferno.
- Gold storage. You will need this upgrade for the clan castle and all other TH12 defenses.
- Clan castle. If you were not able to upgrade your clan castle previously, this is where you have the chance to build it.
- Tornado trap. This traps your enemies for an extra second, I’d say its worth it.
- Walls. If you notice, you are elixir hungry for quite some time, so dump all the gold you have into walls.
The upgrade above will collectively take around 4-10 weeks depending on how many heroes you have upgrading. Makes no sense really that it takes so long for a new level to be significantly stronger than the lower level. Unfortunately, you will need to almost max TH12 heroes before you can crush TH11 easily.
Second priority upgrades:
- BK! If you are farming enough for AQ and have surplus, upgrade him. But try not to sacrifice AQ progress just to upgrade him. This means that if you have 240k DE and 2 days to go before AQ is done, it may not be a good idea to upgrade him if you cannot farm enough DE for the next AQ level.
- The reasoning here is that BK isn’t as good as AQ in almost every circumstance and delaying her just to make a pointless BK upgrade isn’t wise.
- DE storage. If your heroes are below lvl50 to begin with, you can choose to upgrade DE storage now.
- AQ!AQ!AQ! So that you don’t forget
- This is a great time to catch up on your neglected collectors. If they are not maxed yet, try to use 2 builders to upgrade one gold and one elixir collector until they are completely maxed. These collectors give more bang for your buck as compared to almost every other defense you can build/upgrade.
- Barracks. If you didn’t max them previously, you can do them now. The elixir grind is over and the only thing left is probably heroes. You probably can afford to farm slower, so you can upgrade them one by one. Upgrading one increases your troop training time by 33% and two makes it 100% increase. Try not to upgrade two at once unless you really don’t need to farm much or can’t farm much.
- Hidden Tesla, the regular kind. Start with your new 5th tesla before touching the rest, its more worth it to upgrade new stuff than the old because of increasing costs. This is the only defense that costs 10mil at max so you don’t need to fully upgrade gold storages before starting these.
Third priority upgrades: (only defenses left)
By this time, the grind is much easier. You have completed everything that was tough in TH12 and now everything else is so cheap and easy to upgrade. Once you’re here and if you have maxed at least the warden, you can basically do anything you like unless you are grinding hard to max walls.
- Heroes. If you haven’t maxed them out, do so.
- Work on maxing all your traps. Tornado trap should be done by now. Skeleton traps are next. After these two, just upgrade spring traps to lvl2 then followed by seeking air mines. After that, if your defenses are TH10 and above, continue working on traps. Otherwise, regular defenses give more return in investment.
- Xbows. They gain so much stats at level 5 and 6, upgrade them.
- All your other defenses. It doesn’t matter the order, they will be done eventually. In importance, I think air defenses and wizard towers are pretty worthwhile early on.
Very easy right? Its all about upgrading offenses first before thinking about defenses.
This is relatively more simple. If your barch is not at lvl8, do them first. I highly recommend your troops to be less than maxed TH11 level because only 1 elixir troop costs less than 11mil in TH12 (baby dragons). If you are rushed, you can catch up on the other elixir/DE troops. I don’t really recommend dark troops because that means your heroes are at risk of being neglected. If you can at least keep AQ down and upgrade a dark troop, that is ideal.
If your barch is not lvl8:
After this you will need to evaluate, if your barch was already maxed from TH11, you can only do one other elixir upgrade. The rest will require elixir storages to be upgraded, below are your choices:
- Baby drag > elixir troop path
- Baby drag > 1-2 DE troops (recommend bowlers and hounds) > elixir troop path
- Catching up rushed troops (recommend miners to lvl5, bowlers to lvl3) > elixir troop path
Elixir troop path:
- WB. Single best upgrade in TH12, important for almost everything and helps in farming by breaking walls more easily for deep drills
- Loons, 2nd best upgrade in TH12.
After elixir troop path, its all free game. You can choose to upgrade anything you like and depending on what troops you use. This is just a general guideline for everyone and you can upgrade anything you see fit really.
TH12 farming guide in a nutshell:
- Barch; or
- Use whatever event troop there is.
Here’s a link:
To be updated
Isn’t TH12 easy? Being a top dog isn’t always easy in CoC (which should really change), but it isn’t as grindy as people think if you manage it all well.