Updated 07 Sept 2019
Ideally, you’ll want to be here without maxing either TH7 or TH8. The earlier you come into TH9, the better. The hero grind takes so long that almost any maxer will inevitably have maxed defenses, idle builders before even halfway done with heroes. Look into global and see most TH9s, you’ll find that they have maxed TH9 defenses yet not even lvl15 heroes. That is an example of a bad player and a liability in war, despite their maxed defenses they’re weak and bad examples. These are the players you want to laugh at, not the player with 15/15 heroes with TH5 defenses.
This TH marks the start of heavy DE grinding. The problem here is your income isn’t too much and it easily doubles at TH10. No point maxing TH9 either because TH10 loot is far better.
It took me 30 days to reach TH9 and another 30 days to reach TH10, this is a reasonable guideline and speed for a new player. However if it is your mini account, feel free to rush faster. While your TH8 is upgrading, save up at least 62.5k DE and as much gold/elixir as possible (6/6mil is good)
First priority upgrades:
- Archer queen, Archer queen, Archer queen. She’s so important that I need to repeat myself thrice. Unlock her and keep her upgrading. If you follow my TH9 journals, you know that AQ requires 25k DE/day up till lvl40. So grind hard for her, or just use her to farm for herself initially. 40k is just to buy half of your AQ, you need lvl5 before you get the full deal, so get her up asap. Check out my TH9 farming guide if you’re having difficulties. NEVER STOP UPGRADING AQ, SHE SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST AND ULTIMATE PRIORITY UNTIL SHE IS MAXED.
- Lab. You’ll want lvl6 barch upgraded immediately, they’re the only thing you need to farm with. Barch only takes 8 days to max, after 2 days of lab upgrade. You will be able to farm at full TH9 speed within the first 10 days of TH9, capitalize on that.
- Build 50 new walls, new lvl1 archer tower, lvl1 mortar, lvl1 wizard tower, lvl1 air defense, lvl1 hidden tesla, lvl1 gold and elixir storage, lvl1-2 gold and elixir collector, lvl1 bomb, lvl1 giant bomb and lvl1 seeking air mine.
- Dump excess gold into walls. If you have at least 4 builders, leave 4mil gold to upgrade your clan castle.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page, there is a base design there, copy that manually. Its called “the crows TH8.5 version”
- Spell factory. Get it up and out of the way, its tough but you’ll need to endure. You shouldn’t need to use spells for farming anyway
- Clan castle. Having 5 additional troops for offense and defense always help. The extra 5 spaces will allow you to have 1 electro dragon in your defensive cc which is one of the best clan castle troops for offense and defense. This one troop can actually stop enemy attacks and allows you to defend loot with lvl1/2 defenses.
- If you have the 5th builder, build your new air sweeper then farm 2.25mil elixir while waiting for the air sweeper. Don’t forget to farm dark elixir at all times for AQ. Once air sweeper is done, upgrade your first army camp.
Second priority upgrades: (start these after lab and sf are done)
- Don’t forget to keep archer queen upgrading as much as possible
- Before lab completes, try to farm up to around 6mil elixir. Then, upgrade barbs to lvl6 then archers to lvl6 in lab. I prefer barbs first because their hp increase is more significant. Tried archers first for once and didn’t feel it was worth it
- Since you used all your elixir into lab, you’ll need to farm more elixir. Upgrade your storages to spread your loot around more.
- While upgrading storages, once you attain 2.25mil elixir, start upgrading your army camps regardless of storage levels.
- Advanced consideration: if this is your second account, having 200 troops isn’t that bad. It may be more efficient to upgrade DE drills here instead of army camps
- Once spell factory is done, spend another 2.25mil elixir on army camp.
- This will be your clan castle builder coming free after doing both army camps. Upgrade your DE storage because 80k really isn’t enough for decent AQ levels.
- After your army camps are done, upgrade army camps again because 220 space is a big improvement from 200.
- If your AQ isn’t upgrading, better keep her going. If your DE is overflowing even with AQ upgrading, upgrade your BK as well.
- Advanced consideration: if this is not your first time playing, you can consider going to TH10 now. If so, prepare your xbows and upgrade TH. Then upgrade your DE + gold/elixir storages while waiting for the upgrade.
- Builder 1: AQ1 > AQ2 > AQ3 > … > AQ65
- Builder 2: lab > storages > army camp > army camp
- Builder 3: New buildings/walls/storage/traps > spell factory > (if no builder 4, upgrade clan castle here) > army camp > army camp
- Builder 4: Clan castle > DE storage lvl5 > DE drill to max
- If available, builder 5: air sweeper > Army camp > army camp > army camp > army camp (then builder 2 and 3 should be working on DE drills instead)
- Lab: barb 6 > arch 6 > wallbreakers 5 > balloons 6
Third priority upgrades:
- DE drill. Start one builder on the drill and let him upgrade until all drills are maxed. Drills have better bang for buck at lower levels, so upgrade them evenly. Once army camps are done, use a second builder here. They should be at lvl3 right now, so upgrade them one by one to lvl4 then lvl5 then lvl6. This should take 18 days in total if you only use 1 builder or 9 days with 2 builders.
- Gold and elixir storage. Use one or two builders here to bring your new gold and elixir storage to max. Having 8mil/8mil is good because you can store more loot between upgrades.
- Xbows. These are the cornerstone of your TH9 defense and at level 1, they give more dps and hp than all TH8 defense upgrades. I like to set them on ground because it gives you a chance to stop ground attacks. If you set them on air, you would likely be crushed by both air and ground. Do not upgrade them past level 1 for now.
- Dark barracks. Likewise, after army camps are done, upgrade dark barracks. If you want to unlock troops, get one to lvl6 first so that you unlock lvl1 lava hounds. With lvl1 hounds, lvl6 balloons and proper cc support (maxed TH12 electro/hound), you can do well in CWL. The second dark barracks is optional.
- DE storage. Max it out to store 190k DE when you have time to farm excess. This will allow you to store DE for double hero upgrades
- Dark spell factory. Just stick one builder here and upgrade both levels.
- Barracks. Upgrade one barracks all the way to lvl11, neglecting the rest even if they are lvl2. Once you unlock baby dragons, you can use the same builder to upgrade
- I strongly recommend you to jump to TH10 as soon as you reach here, there is no point in staying in TH9 anymore, go straight to TH10 regardless of AQ level. She will be upgrading 24/7 anyways so having lvl30 or lvl1 doesn’t matter because upgrading AQ = lvl0 AQ
- While upgrading to TH10, you may work on your second dark barracks, remaining barracks (I recommend upgrading the second barracks to max before working on the third one) or gold/elixir collectors
4th priority upgrades: (do these as fillers and if you cannot to afford necessary higher priority upgrades, do not overstay TH9 for these upgrades)
- Traps. Skeleton traps, giant bombs and seeking air mines give good value and they’re probably low leveled if you rushed previously.
- Collectors. Stick some builders into your rushed collectors so that you can farm enough for more important upgrades.
Notice how almost every upgrade costs elixir. While farming, dump all excess gold into walls and bring them to lvl8 and excess elixir to upgrade those lvl8 to lvl9 elixirs. The above upgrades combined cost around 60-90mil elixir, so you can easily finish all lvl8 walls with the excess gold. This is why I say its dumb to stay in TH8 working on walls while you’re supposed to be in TH9 working on offenses. End result of TH8 grinding skulls? Maxed walls, 200 army space, 10/0 heroes. End result of rushed TH9? Maxed walls, 220 army space, 15/15 heroes.
You need 11mil gold to bring your new walls to lvl8. After that, you will need 375mil of either gold and elixir to max your walls. Don’t worry if you cannot max it before TH10. Just upgrade your walls as much as possible.
For lab, it should be: barb > arch. Upgrade wallbreakers to lvl5. Then upgrade balloons till lvl6. You can upgrade giants/goblins after that but not necessary really. Barch lvl7-8 easily trumps both of them
Overall: barb 6 > arch 6 > wb 6 > loon 6 > open-ended
War troops: lava hound, hog riders, healers
Recommended stay time: 10-30 days ideally. This is the time it takes to get your AQ to lvl10-15 while finishing all first to third priority upgrades. If your builders have completed all first to third priority upgrades (regardless of AQ level), you should just upgrade to TH10 because there is much more DE.